headline
Chanthaburi
About Chanthaburi



Chanthaburi, the capital of the province bordering Cambodia to the east, was occupied by the French during the end of the 19th century. Their influence can be seen in the architecture of many buildings within Chanthaburi town, including the largest Catholic cathedral in Thailand, which to this day caters to a sizeable Christian population, many of whom are ethnic Vietnamese, who migrated to Thailand in the 20th century.

How to go
Both air-conditioned and non air-conditioned busses depart from Bangkok’s Eastern Bus Terminal (Ekkamai) to Chanthaburi every hour from 4 a.m.-midnight. For more information, contact the Transport Co. Ltd at Tel: 0 2391 2504; Choet Chai Tour Tel: 0 2391 4146; or Phonnipha Tour Tel: 0 2391 5179.
-
-
Recommended

The Catholic Church Chanthaburi

The Catholic Church on Chanthanimit Road on the river bank is the largest Catholic edifice in Thailand. Built in 1909, it is of Gothic architectural style. The original tall roof was taken down during World War II to make it less conspicuous as a possible target.

The Catholic Church Chanthaburi

Taksin Maharat Memorial

Located in the public park near the town hall on Liap Noen Road, is the Taksin Maharat Memorial. The equestrian statue is guarded by statues of his four royal guards. The expression on the kings face clearly shows the resoluteness and determination to carry out the task of restoring the national independence. The large pond in the park serves as a popular recreation area and is stocked with a large variety of fish.

Taksin Maharat Memorial

Khai Noen Wong

The ancient site of Khai Noen Wong, also at Tambon Bang Kacha, was established as the town in circa 1834 during the reign of King Rama III. The town was moved from Ban Lum to this location because of its high grounds which were more suitable for defensive purposes against the invading Vietnamese. The laterite walls and bricks from the old town were also dismantled and moved to the new site. A serve drought during the reign of King Rama V forced its return to the original site at Ban Lum.

Khai Noen Wong
وسم